Portland, Maine is a wonderful coastal city that is rich in natural beauty and culture. In this guide, readers will be able to find all the places to visit and things to do in Portland so that they can get the most out of their visit.
Map of Portland – Travel Guide for Portland
Portland, Maine is one of the most vibrant and engaging cities in the United States. The city’s downtown area is home to many art galleries, boutiques, and restaurants, while the surrounding neighborhoods are home to a variety of cultural experiences such as music festivals and theater performances. Portland is also known for its scenic beauty, with rolling hills and picturesque villages sprinkled throughout the city.
Map of Portland – The Definitive Guide To Portland, Maine Photo Gallery
What To Do in Portland
When it comes to things to do in Portland, Maine, there are plenty of options for visitors. Whether you’re a fan of the arts or want to take in some spectacular views, there’s something for everyone here. From museums and galleries to parks and coastal attractions, this city has something for everyone. In this blog section, we’ll outline some of the best things to do in Portland and help you plan your trip accordingly.
If you’re looking for a place to explore art galleries, then head over to the Portland Museum of Art. This museum features a vast collection of paintings and sculptures from all over the world, as well as an interesting exhibition schedule. If you have children in tow, be sure to check out their collection of play areas and galleries geared specifically toward kids.
If you want to spend some time outside, head over to one of Portland’s many parks. Thoroughly exploring them all would be impossible in one visit, but some favorites include Forest Park with its lakeside trails and playgrounds, Deering Oaks Park with its sprawling lawns and impressive trees, and the East End Park with its great view of downtown.
Things to do outside of Portland
In Portland, Maine, there are a plethora of things to do beyond the city center. Whether you’re looking for a day trip or want to stay put and explore the area, these five main attractions will have something for everyone.
1. Cape Elizabeth – This charming town is just minutes away from Portland and offers a variety of activities such as beaches, museums, and grocery shopping. There’s also a lighthouse that you can visit if you’re feeling adventurous.
2. Acadia National Park – If you want to take in some stunning views while spending your day outside of the city, Acadia is the place for you. The park encompasses over 10,000 acres of wilderness and is home to more than 100 different species of plants and animals.
3. Bar Harbor – Just a short drive from downtown Portland, Bar Harbor offers visitors everything from shops and restaurants to ice cream and mountain vistas. The community has been around for centuries and still retains its small-town feel.
4. Ogunquit – This small town is known for its beautiful beaches and pleasant atmosphere. Visitors can find plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars here to enjoy while they soak up the sun.
Where to Stay in Portland
If you’re looking for a place to stay while in Portland, Maine, there are plenty of options to choose from. You can stay in one of the city’s many hotels, or you can check out some of the many Airbnb rentals available. In this article, we will outline some of the best places to stay in Portland, starting with the most popular choices.
The Best Hotel Choices in Portland
If you’re looking for a hotel that is centrally located in downtown Portland, look no further than The Westin Portland. This luxury hotel offers stunning views of the city and is just minutes away from all of the action that downtown has to offer. Alternatively, if you’re looking for something a little closer to the airport, The Airport Inn & Suites by Wyndham Portland International Airport is perfect for you. This hotel is only a few miles from both the airport and downtown Portland and offers great rates for such a convenient location.
The Best Airbnb Rental Choices in Portland
If you’re looking for an affordable place to stay while in Portland, consider checking out one of the many Airbnb rentals available. With units that range from small apartments to whole homes, there’s sure to be something that fits your needs. You can also create a rental listing and start taking reservations right away!
Spend The Night At Portland’s Best HotelsIf you’re planning on spending the night in the city, be sure to check out these four hotels: the New York Hotel, the Hotel Monaco, The Four Seasons Hotel & Residences Portland, and Four Seasons Hotel at The Lodge at Bokenville. Offering a variety of amenities and amenities, each hotel will make your stay that much more enjoyable. Regardless of how long you plan on staying in Portland, these hotels will ensure you receive some of the best service and amenities around.
Where to Eat in Portland
If you’re looking for a delicious, affordable meal in Portland, Maine, be sure to check out one of the city’s many restaurants. From casual spots perfect for grabbing a bite with friends to upscale options perfect for a special occasion, there is something for everyone. Here are five of our favorite places to eat in Portland:
1. Birreria – This Italian restaurant is a favorite among locals and tourists alike for its delicious food and relaxed atmosphere. Birreria offers both pasta and pizza dishes as well as a variety of wine and beer options.
2. The Daily Beet – If you’re looking for something healthy and delicious, head to The Daily Beet. This vegetarian restaurant offers everything from lentil soup to hearty sandwiches made with organic bread and locally-sourced ingredients.
3. Salt & Straw – If you’re in the mood for some decadent ice cream, head to Salt & Straw. This popular restaurant offers dozens of flavors of ice cream, including vegan and gluten-free options.
4. Vesuvio’s Pizza – If you’re visiting Portland during summertime, be sure to stop by Vesuvio’s Pizza for some freshslice pizza made with local ingredients.
How to travel on a budget
Living in Portland means you have access to some of the most unique and beautiful scenery in all of America. With its proximity to the ocean, Mt. Desert Island, and other popular tourist destinations, Portland is a great place to travel for a budget. Here are five tips for traveling on a budget in Portland:
1. Use public transportation
Portland’s public transportation system is one of the best in the country, and it’s very affordable. The MAX (Metropolitan Area Express) light rail system has 24 stations throughout the city and operates around the clock. Single-ride tickets cost $2.75 and you can use your transit pass on any bus or light rail line within the city.
2. Stay at hostels or cheap hotels
Portland has a lot of affordable options for lodging, whether you’re looking for a hostel or a cheap hotel. The Mirador Inn costs just $55 per night, while the Travelodge Hotel costs just $59 per night. Both of these rates are much cheaper than staying at a hotel in most other cities in America.
3. Eat cheaply at restaurants and cafes
One of the best ways to save money on food is to eat out. Portland has amazing restaurants, and a lot of these restaurants have decent prices, such as the Sycamore Street Cafe, which costs less than $5 for a meal. The best way to eat cheaply in Portland is to stop by local cafes and bakeries. These food trucks serve basic, cheap meals that cost less than $10, including the Donuts in a Blender and the In-N-Out Burger Truck.